Vitiligo / Leucoderma / Phulverri (in Hindi)
Leucoderma/Vitiligo is a condition where there is absence or lack of pigment forming cells i.e. Melanocytes.This condition affects approximately 1-2% of the population.Vitiligo is considered as autoimmune disease of skin in which melanocytes are killed or absent because of the immune response of an individual.
Vitiligo may be considered as a stigma in the society and the patient having this disease may face emotional stress, social boycott, difficulty in marriage, job and hence decreases self esteem and confidence of an individual.
AUTOLOGOUS NON CULTURED MELANOCYTES (MKC) TRANSPLANTATION/MELANOCYTE TRANSPLANT PROCEDURE
In this procedure a suspension is made of melanocytes-Keratinocytes from a non affected donor area from which a skin is taken either by razor or shave technique and after a special procedure is followed to make a suspension which is then applied on the vitiligo area of skin after dermabrasion and is secured with special adhesives so as to repigment the affected area
1. Ten fold large areas can be treated at one time (av. 300 sq.cm.). Very large areas can be treated in multiple sittings.
2. Excellent cosmetic results with minimum or nil side effects – no scarring, cobble-stoning or beaded edge.
3. Safe & simple DAY CARE procedure.
4. Stable Vitiligo of any size & affecting any anatomical site can be treated.
5. Multiple areas can be treated simultaneously.
6. One stage operative procedure compared to two stage technique required for laboratory cultured cellular transplant.